Sunday, July 29, 2007

Creek Street Journal - Sunday 29th July 2007

We planted out our new gravel grow beds today with silver beet, bok choi, coriander, lettuce, parsely and thyme seedlings.

Today, we reconfigured my satellite pot growing system. It had taken a belting during a recent sub-zero cold snap and the tomatoes had frozen.

The pots were filled with coco peat which we had hand-watered using the nutrient-rich water from our fish tanks. The problem was that I'd forget periodically and the tomatoes would dry out. Notwithstanding my inconsistent watering, the plants grew and had useful quantities of good sized fruit....but they drew the line at the cold snap.

I've decided to connect the pots to the pipework from the fish tank and to have them drain back into the tank. We'll replace the coco peat growing medium with expanded clay topped with some drainage gravel. That way, the pots are light enough to handle but will still provide a good anchor for the plants.

Yesterday, I assembled a small Ell-Gro NFT system. It was a breeze to put together. I've mounted it on a Kube-Lock frame. We'll connect it to the main Aquaponics system once I've had a chance to grow some more salad and herb seedlings.

We transferred our 42 plate-sized Jade perch into our new tidal system. We also moved our 90+ Jade perch fingerlings into the 700 litre tank that they vacated.