Sunday, October 7, 2007

Creek Street Journal - Sunday 7th Oct. 2007

Today, I spent several hours fine tuning my aquaponics system. I pulled out the drains and opened them up so that my gravel grow beds drain faster. The NFT System that I mounted over the tank impeded my ability to access the tank to the extent that I want (for cleaning and watching the fish), so I've removed it.
I have about 85 juvenile Jade Perch in an 800 litre tank in the shed so I'll attach the NFT unit to this system.
We processed the remaining 13 broiler chickens in our most recent batch. They averaged 2.5kg.
The chickens yielded 750gm of chicken livers. Normally, I reserve the hearts and livers and fry them in a little butter before serving them on toast. Today, however, Jan made chicken liver pate.....and good it was, too.
While we have a 10,000 litre rainwater, a couple of the gutters on our house still ran onto the ground. To enable us to capture more rainwater, we set up a 200 bin with a submersible sump pump. A hose transports the water from the bin....under the house.....to the tank. Tonight, our new system got its first test when a brief thunderstorm passed over our area. Several hundred litres of rainwater that otherwise would have run onto the ground, found its way into the tank.
Our aquaponics system runs completely on rainwater so the new capture system is a welcome addition.